This handy set of rules covers most of the games which disinformation artists play on the Internet (and offline). When you know the tricks, you’ll be able to spot their games.
1. Hear no evil, see no evil, speak no evil. Regardless of what you know, don’t discuss it.
2. Become incredulous and indignant. This is also known as the “How dare you!” gambit.
3. Create rumor mongers. Avoid discussing issues by describing all charges as mere rumors and wild accusations.
4. Use a straw man. Find or create a seeming element of your opponent’s argument which you can easily knock down.
5. Sidetrack opponents with name calling and ridicule. This makes others shrink from support out of fear of gaining the same label, and you avoid dealing with issues.Read more